Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The GREAT outdoors!





Matt and I have been dying to go camping. Unfortunately it is illegal most places here in Switzerland,one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world! If you knew the Swiss like we do it would make more sense. So we decided to head to Austria instead. We decided just to go for the day to see what it was like. It's not exactly what I would call camping. Everyone had their tents lined up in a big field. I prefer something a bit more secluded where I can be one with nature:) Despite all this, the area was still absolutely beautiful! The Mascaros and the Parrys joined us for a day of lounging by the river, swimming, catching trout in the pond and cooking over the fire. Despite the COLD temperature, it was great being in the water. Rach is my little water baby. I had to pull her out kicking and screaming after an hour because her lips were so blue.
A little later in the evening we attracted quite a bit of attention when we began roasting marshmallows. A great American tradition that most Europeans know nothing about. An old lady came up and asked if we were cooking cheese. Uh...no. Try explaining, in broken German, what a smore is:) Quite the challenge.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Oh that was SO much fun! Did you guys manage to get any pictures of us? We were pretty lame with our camera that day.

We'll have to try roasting cheese on the fire when we really go camping in the US. --Elisa

Tiffany said...

I love that story of the marshmallows! Some things get lost in translation, eh? When I was younger my family went on a mostly camping trip to Europe. While it was nothing like camping in the wild, we found some great campgrounds (field-esque) in France...near the alps, I think?